Another whole week has passed already? Where did that one go? We know you woke up this morning thinking it was Wednesday and, no, the milk in your fridge is definitely not safe for human consumption and yep, you still haven't cleaned your car boot. Days go by quickly in winter, so we're not blaming you for being out of the loop.
Lucky for you, we're here to let you know all the news you missed this week.
- Drop whatever you’re doing now. Cannoleria by That’s Amore Cheese, are offering up FREE CANNOLI at the South Melb market this morning. Look for the pop-up stand between 9:30am and 12:30pm.
- Come on, twinkle toes, get ready for the sparkly fest of your dreams. It's the Melbourne Central’s Star Festival, and it's on this Thursday 19 and Friday 20 July. They’ve got free bevvys and a pop-up Mecca Maxima glitter station. So much yes.
- Chips, fries, whatever you call it, we know one thing – nothing beats them. Good thing Melba’s French Fry buffet is running today. Bring on the poutine station.
- Word is, dead and preserved human bodies are on their way to us. Neat.
- Kale and brussel sprouts got funky and made a baby, and the result is the uber-cool sounding ‘kalette’. To get your hands on this new bizarre veg, Chanteen Kitchen in HWKR are giving out 100 free kalette chip dishes this Sat 14 July. First in, best dressed, so get ready. Grab packets of kalettes to cook up a storm with at Coles right now.
- Veggos, rejoice! Gelato fave Piccolina Gelateria is offering up a new menu of vegan gelato. It for a limited time only, so get scoopin’.
- Two words that instantly excite us: Dessert. Buffet. Get amongst it, Melburnians. You can check this one out at Crown.
- Star chef Mark Ebbels is taking over the kitchen of winery TarraWarra estate, introducing a brand-new menu and some pretty rad sustainable forward thinking.
- Bastille Day is here, and French bakery Laurent is doing an extra-sweet (literally) treat, serving a modern twist on the classic Paris Brest until Sunday 15 July. Get 'em in-store.
- If you’re into wine and craft beer (and who isn’t?) Laneway Greens is introducing a new Happy Time offering, where you can taste their local produce, beers and SA wines. Any excuse for a bevvy, really.
- Finders Keepers is back for another run-round this weekend, and it’s time to look at the beautiful, handmade crafted goods and think about the fact that you can’t even draw a circle. With a compass.
- Carlton North establishment Babajan are keeping their doors open on Friday and Saturday night with a new dinner service. There’s a beast of a feasting menu too: think snapper and 12-hour braised lamb shoulder.
- Road trip to Ballarat. Go on, do it. It’s worth it this July, with their annual Winter Wonderland Festival running now.
- We’ve reached the apex of truffle obsession—we've discovered a truffle gin. Thanks Bass & Flinders! A must try for any Melbourne truffle snob.
Image credit: Serious Eats