First off, shout out to the random weather patterns for flooding my house again this week. Thankfully, if you're anything like me, a spot of weird weather won't stop you from enjoying the slew of activities we've got lined up for you (this is Melbourne, after all). And with Christmas approaching fast, the list of things to do around Melbourne will only keep growing.
So, stay on top of it by reading about all the news you've missed this week.
- If you're in need of an affordable beer fix, Urban Alley has heaps of fresh new beer for you to try next Monday during their Hospo Night. Enjoy delicious $5 pints all night, along with the launch of Urban Alley’s exciting beer-infused cocktail list. But most importantly, make sure you leave a little room for the $1 wings and $5 chips and wedges.
- If you’re still trying to sort out your office Christmas party venue, then this piece of info might come in handy: Congress is available for private events from Tuesday to Sunday. They accept groups of 12 to 24 sitting (or 40 standing) in their mezzanine area and the entire venue is available for hire on Mondays. So become the office hero and get that booking sorted right now.
- In case you’ve been hibernating for the last year, The Smith in Prahran has re-opened after a short hiatus last year. The multi-million-dollar renovation has The Smith back to hosting fun events and serving delicious food—so if you haven’t been in a while, now might be a good time to pop in and check it out.
- Who can say no to tequila (and pizza) from Chacho's? Learn all there is to know about your favourite Mexican spirit with a tasting of six premium tequilas at Chacho’s from the bar manager himself, Ben Street. The event is scheduled for Wednesday 28 November, so make sure you write it down somewhere (before we show up and drink all the tequila).
- It’s Christmas pop-up season, so pop your ears up (sorry) for this one: Rockpool Bar & Grill now has a festive pop-up restaurant (how many times can we say pop-up in a single paragraph?), bar and gift boutique located at the Alfred Place event space. The pop-up will open every weekday from Thursday 29 November at 12 pm (and their bar will remain open into the evening for festive after-work drinks).
- With spring and summer come the beer fests—but we’re definitely not complaining. BeerFest Australia tickets are up for sale, so grab yours before all the other beer fans grab theirs. (And trust us, there are many, many beer fans out there.) The Melbourne BeerFest will be held on 24 November at Moonee Valley Racing Club, but you can also buy tickets for the St Kilda BeerFest starting 27 November.
- Spring has sprung at Ishizuka—but only until December 20th. After that, the restaurant will be changing up its menu for the summer, so make sure you get in on their unrivalled Kaiseki Menu for $215 pp, Wednesday through to Sunday until it's too late.
- Good news for your taste buds (and bad news for the rest of your body): Goldeluck’s Doughnuts have just launched a new, edible gift box delivery service just in time for Christmas. Shower your loved ones with dessert boxes, doughnut bouquets and Goldeluck's signature products like the world’s first, 24 karat gold croissant-doughnut, Australia’s largest 1.5kg croissant-doughnut (where have you been all my life?) and a gold chocolate heart-filled with 1kg of Nutella (which we would happily bathe in).
- Do you like chicken? Do you like rolls? (I think you can see where we’re going with this.) Foxes Den released their new Summer Fling item, and it’s looking pretty mouth-watering: Korean-style pulled chicken, pickled cucumber, slaw and a light kimchi dressing on a roll. It's not even summer yet, and we've already eaten five of these.
- If you’re a gin lover, you’ll be pleased to know that the MGC Single Shot gin will be available in independent liquor stores from the 23rd of November. (Hot tip: besides being a very effective truth serum, gin also makes a great potential Christmas gift.)
- If you’re a Melburnian, there’s a 200% chance you’re wearing black right now. How do we know? Because we have eyeballs. Maybe we don black clothing because we don’t have regular access to the sun like the other states do. Regardless of the reason, Melbourne Central wants to celebrate Melburnians’ love of black and shopping with free black-themed events at its Black Friday Party for Shop the City on 23 November. It’s an all-day thing (10 am - 10 pm) and it will include a treasure hunt, a free smokey eye makeover (courtesy of MAC), free tea leaf readings, and much more.
- Ever been to a whiskey festival? (Me neither.) Well, lucky for you, there's JJ’s Place: a one-day festival presented by Jameson. The festival is set to celebrate whiskey, beer, live music, pop-ups, food, and mates coming together on November 24. (And it sounds pretty cool if you ask us.) You can head here to enter the free ticket ballot for you and a friend.
Image credit: Urban Alley Brewery | Melanie Desa