Start smashing those piggy banks and calling in sick because the Mack Daddy of sale events is coming to Melbourne this week and there’s even whispers of free food.
Melbourne’s premier CBD sale extravaganza—Shop The City—is back for 2017 and it’s bigger and badder [for your wallet] than ever. For twelve sweet hours of discounted shopping bliss this Wednesday, May 17, Melbourne’s biggest retail players will open their doors between 10am—10pm to our city’s keenest shopaholics for a day of [hella cheap] retail therapy. Plus, we all know Melbourne gets pretty friggin' cold, but have you ever seen it snow in the city? Well, you will next week with Shop The City's unique and extremely 'gram-able 'Snowing Laneway'. There'll also be mulled wine and a donut festival because why stop at heaven on earth when you can have ~paradise~ on earth.
Melbourne Central, Emporium Melbourne, QV Melbourne, Melbourne’s GPO and The Strand Melbourne will together play host to sales and events at more than 1,000 stores across the three city blocks. Some of the big name brand sales worth phoning home about include:
- 30% off storewide at Windsor Smith (Melbourne Central)
- 40% off storewide at Bonds (Melbourne Central)
- 25% off storewide at Country Road (Melbourne Central)
- 20% off fullpriced items at Topshop & Topman (Emporium Melbourne)
- 20% off storewide at Ted Baker London (Emporium Melbourne)
- Save $20 when you spend $100 at UNIQLO (Emporium Melbourne)
- Up to 50% off selected styles at Michael Kors (Emporium Melbourne)
- 20% off storewide at Osmosis (QV Melbourne)
- 20% off storewide at Universal Store (QV Melbourne
- VIP pricing on all electrical & computer products at Harvey Norman (QV Melbourne)
- 25% off storewide at Neuw Denim (The Strand Melbourne)
- One-day exclusive availability of the Ny Sweatshirt at Rag & Bone (The Strand Melbourne)
- Lucky dip with any purchase at Mama's Buoi (Melbourne's GPO)
- Limited edition Ghost Patrol x H&M tote bags with any purchase over $80, and an exclusive offer all day.
Obviously you’ll need more than just your own bare hands to carry the six gazillion bags you’ll have by 10pm, which is why our city has pulled out all the stops to ensure you can get from the store to your door without even breaking a sweat, or that ridiculously cheap laptop you just picked up from Harvey Norman.
So, not only will QV Melbourne be offering free parking between 5pm and midnight (YASSS), but Uber will also be premiering Melbourne’s first ever CBD ‘Uber Zone’ near the Melbourne Central underpass on Little Lonsdale Street, which is a designated pick-up and drop-off area where a concierge will literally open your door for you (SHUT. UP.). You can even get $20 off your first Uber ride if you use the event’s unique code ‘SHOPTHECITY’.
And, to top it all off, The Strand Melbourne will be partnering with the likes of Matcha Mylkbar—the masters of all things matcha—and Butterbing—the connoisseurs of cookie sandwiches—to provide shoppers with delicious (AND FREE) sweet treats to keep your energy levels up while the prices are down.
This event is what we Melburnians refer to as a goddam mid-season miracle, so set your iCal status to busy this Wednesday because there’s a good chance those boots/jeans/bags/Bluetooth speakers/handmade ceramic bowls you’ve had your eye on since you blew all your money at the Boxing Day sales could be a helluva lot cheaper.
Where: The CBD
When: 10am—10pm, Wednesday 17 May
For more info, click here.
Editor's note: This article is proudly sponsored by Shop The City and endorsed by The Urban List. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who make The Urban List possible. Click here for more information on our editorial policy.
Image credit: Topshop