There’s almost nothing worse than rocking up to brunch with the gals only to discover that every second item on the menu is a different variation of eggs benny on sourdough. So, to save Melburnian vegans the tears, we put together a list of the best flippin’ vegan dishes on the Melbourne breakfast scene right effin now.
Here are all twenty-three of them.
- The Vegan Euphoria with pan-fried cauliflower, black quinoa, buckwheat, asparagus, kale, roasted cashews, chilli, lemon zest and raisins at Hawthorn’s Short Straw.
- The Cave Man Granola with toasted almonds and meal, mixed seeds, coconut, strawberries, banana and organic almond milk with a raspberry coyo at Fitzroy’s Stagger Lee’s.
- The smashed avocado with beetroot hummus, pickled watermelon, smoked almonds and roquette salad at South Melbourne’s Crux & Co.
- The Nourish Bowl with golden cauliflower, roast pumpkin, avocado, edamame, wild rice, pickled beet, tofu & roasted sesame kewpie at Prahran’s Fourth Chapter.
- The smoked eggplant salad with almond hummus, mint, lentils, pistachios, baked ricotta, pickled red onion & pomegranate at Brunswick’s Small Axe Kitchen.
- The coconut chia pudding with fresh fruit, mango puree and crispy coconut at Windsor's Journeyman.
- The matcha smoothie bowl with banana, nashi, raw almonds, baked granola, Spirulina White Chai, grass jelly, almond milk and edible flowers at Port Melbourne’s Long Story Short.
- The grilled broccoli & wild rice bow with brussel sprouts, pickled fennel, black bean vinaigrette & sesame at Richmond’s Top Paddock.
- The Un Baked Eggs with roasted pumpkin, creamed spinach & basil, gruyere and pepitas at the CBD’s Hardware Societe.
- The apple & rhubarb porridge with steel cut oats, almond milk, buckwheat clusters and coconut clotted cream at Moonee Ponds’ District North.
- The granola with house-made coconut yoghurt, orange, strawberries, blueberries, apricots, nuts, oats, seeds, goji & puffed buckwheat at Fitzroy’s Addict Food & Coffee.
- The Split Pea Dal with curried split peas and pineapple chutney at Footscray’s Rudimentary.
- The Big with buttered thyme mushrooms, grilled tomato, fresh spinach, tomato relish and house made hash brown at Brunswick’s Miss Marmalade.
- The tapioca pudding with fresh fruit, compote, mixed roasted nuts & seeds at the Footscray Milking Station.
- The avocado and pea smash with pistachio dukkah at Brunswick’s Wide Open Road.
- The Homemade Granola Bowl with acai coyo, macadamia & almond mix, chia seeds, seasonal fruit & micro popcorn at Richmond’s Pillar of Salt.
- The Green & Grains with red & white quinoa, cooked & raw greens, freekeh, cherry tomatoes, chia, almonds, goji berries & grapefruit vinaigrette at Abbotsford’s Three Bags Full.
- The Coconut Husk Bowl with banana, cacao powder, chia seeds, sesame seeds, brazil nuts & dates & a glass of minted coconut water at South Yarra’s Drugstore Espresso.
- The avocado toast with beetroot relish, burnt lime, pickled red onion, coriander, mixed seeds & sumac salt at Richmond’s Touchwood.
- The Serotonin Spud with baked sweet potato, Mexican kidney beans, fresh slaw, grilled red onion, coriander, spring onion & corn, served with a vegan cashew sour cream, tomatillo dressing, avocado, fresh lime & organic blue gluten-free corn chips at Burnley’s Serotonin Eatery. The Positive Pancakes are also worth a run.
- The Rainbow Chakra with walnut beetroot pesto, Dutch baby carrots, broccolini, golden beetroot and smoked almonds at Penta in Elsternwick.
- The apple crumble porridge with spiced apple, rhubarb compote, chia, coconut, lemon balm with almond and pistachio crumble at Windsor’s Mr Mister.
- The Goldilocks with soy organic quinoa & rolled oats porridge, fresh banana, strawberry, mixed seeds, flaked almond, goji berry & pumpkin caramel at Fitzroy’s Breakfast Thieves.
Want more than brunch? Here are the best vegan meals in Melbourne.
Image credit: Serotonin Eatery | Michelle Jarni