It’s a time the little ones in our lives celebrate, five to six whole weeks of endless fun and no school. But for the parentals it can be the complete opposite, several long weeks thinking, “how the heck will I keep them entertained?” Fear not, here at Urban List we're helping you out with a bunch of ideas and activities for you and your mini me to enjoy.
Diaries at the ready, here are the best things to do on the Gold Coast with your kids these school holidays.
- Grab a basket and take your little ones fruit picking at these cute as a button local farms.
- Unearth a passionate little grom when you enroll your kids in one of the Coast’s many learn-to-surf school holiday programs. From single sessions to all-week camps, make this school holidays one they’ll be talking about in their sleep. Start your research with Currumbin Valley’s Frothing Grommet School or Surfing Services’ Nudie SurfGroms.
- The Gold Coast Council’s Active & Healthy school holiday program is jam-packed with free (or almost free) activities to keep your can’t-sit-still kids occupied. From skateboard workshops, rockclimbing, wildlife hospital visits, karate and DJ parties the park, there’s far too much to mention here. This is seriously a one-stop shop for epic things to do on the Gold Coast this school holidays.
- If you have a little adventurer in your clan, spoil them these school holidays with a night climb at SkyPoint at Gold Coast’s iconic Q1. That’ll give them serious bragging rights when they return to the books. Planning a daytrip to SkyPoint instead? Schedule your visit around their delicious Sundae Shop (popping up Friday 27 December to Friday 10 January) where you can build your own sundaes, play games and snap photos with the beloved Paddle Pop Lion 230-metres above sea level.
- So your tweens and teens already know their way around the Coast’s many gaming arcades with their eyes closed? Well, they’re going to lose their collective sh*t at the revamped Time Zone in Surfers Paradise and iPlay high ropes adventure course in Coomera.
- If you’ve not yet taken your cub along to The Craft Parlour, take a peek at their stellar line-up of school holiday activities.
- The Collective brings their best to school holidays on the Gold Coast with gingerbread house making, DIY christmas crackers, yummy treat baking and more.
- Popping up oceanside at Broadwater Parklands, The Big Wedgie waterslide towers a massive 18 metres above the ground with four epic slides to experience and is a perfect time-filler if your kidlets are on school holidays.
- Head to Robina Town Centre to Lilliputt where your little ones will roam between the legs of an oversized woolly mammoth and sabre-tooth tigers in this high-tech 18-hole, Ice Age-themed novelty golf course.
- Or, make a day of it and grab yourself Robina Town Centre’s Bundle of Fun Pass. Where $35 for kids 12 and under ($40 for adults) will get you an Event Cinema movie pass, single games at Zone Bowling, M9 lazer skirmish and Lilliputt mini golf, plus a $5 food voucher. Head here to purchase your pass.
- Check out one of the latest kid flicks, Jumanji or Farmageddon at the good old Yatala-Drive In. The little ones will love the novelty of watching a flick in the family wheels.
- BYOP, that’s bring your own picnic! And make an afternoon adventure in the great outdoors with any of the Gold Coast’s best picnic spots.
- If your little monkeys are starting to climb the walls at home, why not take them to a place they can do it with professionals. Head to Paramount Adventures or one of these local climbing walls where the whole family can get vertical.
- Kick it old school and grab a local's pass to the best theme parks on the GC. You can seriously waste hours at Movie World.
- Gather your fellow yummy mummies and daddies and check out the best kid-friendly cafes.
- Little ones love a good camping trip, we’ve got you sorted with a rookie’s guide for the best spots.
- Also getting amongst the Gold Coast school holidays action is Broadbeach’s Oasis Shopping Centre. Jump over to their website where you’ll find a bunch of activities for the kidlets from daily entertainment and face painting (December) to kid’s yoga and Under the Sea-themed crafts (January), plus a new pop-up playground that’s guaranteed to make them smile.
- If they want to get up close and personal with animals on the wilder side, pop over to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary where they can cuddle a koala or feed a family of Tarmarin monkeys. A treasure trove of excitement when it comes to entertaining your minis on the Gold Coast this school holidays, go for a regular day visit, or book into one of their Wild Adventures and Themed Days where they can be an animal trainer for a day, vet for a day, with behind the scenes access and more.
- Stand-up paddle boarding is one the whole family can enjoy. Here are our four top stops.
- Have a baby chino and cake with a bunch of totally adorbs kitties. Your little one will be in pure heaven at the Crazy Cat Café.
- Lastly, head to Pacific Fair where they’ve set up a cute 12 Days of Gold Coast Christmas Trail, with loads of things to explore like prancing poodles and sleeping koalas which come to life via augmented reality. When you download the app and check in at each icon, the kids will be treated to a free frozen dessert from Cowch afterwards. You can also time your visit with a swag of free roving entertainment here.
Kids sorted with the best things to do on the Gold Coast this school holidays and now you're after some cheap and cheerful eats? Check out 50 of the best penny pinching meals on the Coast.
Image credit: Unsplash