It’s a time the little ones in our lives celebrate, two whole weeks of endless fun and no school. But for the parentals it can be the complete opposite, 14 long days thinking, “how the heck will I keep them entertained”. Fear not, we here at The Urban List want to help you out.
So we’ve rounded up a bunch of ideas and activities for you and your mini me to enjoy. Diaries at the ready, here are the best things to do on the Gold Coast with your kids these school holidays.
- Grab a basket and take your little ones fruit picking at these cute as a button local farms.
- Unleash their inner Masterchef at Baker's Delight in Broadbeach with free pizza making demos, then they get to devour it. Win!
- If you're at the southern end of the Coast head to the Tweed City Shopping Centre for Australia’s first immersive underwater virtual reality experience. The pop-up will be made up of six different sensory rooms such as rock pool room, kelp forest and a whale watching room where vision of whales will play whilst guests wait to enjoy a special under the sea 2 minute VR experience. Even better, it's free.
- If you have a little adventurer in your clan, spoil them these school holidays with a night climb at SkyPoint at Gold Coast’s iconic Q1. That’ll give them serious bragging rights when they return to the books.
- So your tweens and teens already know their way around the Coast’s many gaming arcades with their eyes closed? Well, they’re going to lose their collective sh*t at iPlay in Pacific Fair. Think Laser tag, dodgem cars, 10-pin bowling, 9D cinema, and an adjoining eatery and ice creamery (with a bar for the adults!).
- If you’ve not yet taken your cub along to The Craft Parlour, take a peek at their stellar line-up of school holiday activities.
- Then skip across the road to The Collective for cooking classes, where they’ll walk away making and tasting sushi, cake pops, veggie pies, cookie and pizza.
- The Gold Coast Council’s Active & Healthy school holiday program is jam-packed with free (or almost free) activities to keep your can’t-sit-still kids occupied. From skateboard workshops, surf clinics, bootcamps, karate and a DJ party are the Rockpools, there’s far too much to mention here.
- Head to Robina Town Centre to Lilliputt where your little ones will roam between the legs of an oversized woolly mammoth and sabre-tooth tigers in this high-tech 18-hole, Ice Age-themed novelty golf course.
- While you’re there, head over to Meet The Senses. The interactive pods, including Smell-A-Vision and Sounds Like Fun, will see your little ones learn the weird and wonderful way our senses work.
- Check out one of the latest kid flicks, Small Foot or The House With A Clock In Its Walls at the good old Yatala-Drive In. The little ones will love the novelty of watching a flick in the family wheels.
- BYOP, that’s bring your own picnic! And make an afternoon adventure in the great outdoors with any of the Gold Coast’s best picnic spots.
- If your little monkeys are starting to climb the walls at home, why not take them to a place they can do it with professionals. Head to Paramount Adventures where the whole family can get vertical.
- Kick it old school and grab a locals pass to the best theme parks on the GC. You can seriously waste hours at Movie World.
- Gather your fellow yummy mummies and daddies and check out the best kid-friendly cafes.
- Little ones love a good camping trip, we’ve got you sorted with a rookie’s guide for the best spots.
- Got a pup? Bring them along on the trip. Here’s a list of dog-friendly sites.
- If they want to get up close and personal with animals on the wilder side, pop over to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary where they can cuddle a koala or feed a family of Tarmarin monkeys.
- Stand-up paddle boarding is one the whole family can enjoy. Here are our four top stops.
- Have a baby chino and cake with a bunch of totally adorbs kitties. Your little one will be in pure heaven at the Crazy Cat Café.
- Lastly head to Pacific Fair where they’ve set up an awesome Science Fair, with loads of fun things to do like glow in the dark bubble slime experiements, as well as instant snow and neon bouncey ball workshops.
After some cheap and cheerful eats? Check out 50 of the best penny pinching meals on the Coast.
Image credit: Unsplash