Ahhh, the Gold Coast. Long gone are the days of it being synonymous with tourist-filled theme parks, high rises scattered across the skyline, and all-you-can-eat buffets.
Let’s be honest, it still has all of those things, but we are fast becoming the place to be for the best lifestyle anyone could ask for. Here are 33 top reasons why you just can’t leave the Gold Coast and why more than half a million people call it home.
1. You go on surf trips and holidays only to soon realise the best waves, beaches, and sunshine was all on your doorstep before you left.
2. You don’t need to put shoes on to socialise… Burleigh Hill is the place to be on a Sunday arvo, just BYO bubbles and boombox.
3. And this one deserves a point of it’s own… Justin Lane delivers pizza to Burleigh Hill by bicycle. Life = complete.
4. On the rare occasion you get sick of the beach, the GC is home to 100,000 hectares of nature reserves and World Heritage sites, the majority of which is a subtropical rainforest. Because, nature.
5. The average sunshine count is 300 days a year. To the point you actually crave a dreary day so you can snuggle up on the couch at home without feeling guilty.
6. Acai bowls for breakfast, lunch,
and dinner are considered totally normal.
7. Surfing at Snapper next to world professionals ain’t no biggie.
8. There are endless amounts of daily motivation and inspiration to be your healthiest, fittest self. Just take a walk along Burleigh esplanade at the crack-o-dawn and you will know what we mean.
9. No other state in Australia has three hours of daylight BEFORE you get to work. So much time for so many activities! #suckswhenyourenotamorningperson
10. The commute to work is generally no longer than 40 minutes, but usually more like five.
11. The list of new venues to brunch at is never-ending and will take you until you are at least 50 to tick off.
12. You can be a healthy-eating gluten-free vegan one day at BSKT and a meat-loving calorie queen at Ze Pickle the next.
13. The Village Markets, Design Collective Markets, farmers markets, and every other market for that matter, are next level yet still oh-so local.
14. With 70 kilometres of coastline, it’s pretty easy to find a pristine and empty beach, even on weekends and school holidays.
15. We may not be the Yarra Valley, but there are numerous stunning wineries within driving distance of the Coast. Helloooo Mount Tamborine.
16. Forget needing a steamer for all of your winter water activities; the sea temperature doesn’t drop below 18 degrees ALL year round. Take that Sydney.
17. We are the host of the 2018 Commonwealth Games—come on, that’s pretty damn exciting! And just wait ‘til those mind-blowing TV aerials of Currumbin and Coolangatta are broadcast to the world!
18. You still haven’t tried every type of espresso martini on Harvest Moon’s menu.
19. You can do a craft beer brewery hop (we’ve got three in a 10-kilometre radius!), or grab a pushie and take a SLSC crawl along the water’s edge from Palm Beach to Surfers. Prepare for a quad burn.
20. Speaking of surf life saving clubs… lifeguards. How cute are our lifeguards?
21. Fact: You’ll never have beach hair this good anywhere else.
22. It’s only an hour-long drive north to Brisbane for some #bigcitylights, or 40 minutes south for the backpacker and bohemian gem of Byron Bay. We don’t mind being in the middle.
23. Every corner of the Coast has something surprisingly good to offer—Terrarium in Oxenford, Portside Coffee in Currumbin Industrial Estate, Daark Espresso in Chirn Park. You basically can’t eat bad food or drink crappy coffee unless you put in some serious effort.
24. When your friends all have different feels for dinner, you can head to Miami Marketta or Helensvale’s NightQuarter to eat your way around the world.
25. We are home to the tallest building in the southern hemisphere (thanks to that cheeky spire), and you can sip cocktails from the top of Q1 Hotel’s SkyPoint observation deck. Definitely worth bragging about.
26. Forget trekking across the place to get to your favourite bar, an Uber ride here is less than $10 regardless of whether you want to go to Nobbys or Cooly.
27. You will always find the sweetest and juiciest tropical fruit and epic local produce from farmers’ markets, or local fruit and veg shops.
28. The food courts at Pac Fair and Robina’s The Kitchens put all other food courts to shame.
29. You can pretty much always find free parking. EVEN at the beach. EVEN in summer. Seriously guys, we don’t know how lucky we are.
30. There is almost always a food truck roundup somewhere on the GC, just takes a bit of sniffing out.
31. We are home to the first stop on the pro World Surfing Tour. That means our waves are the BEST in the world, if we do say so ourselves.
32. It’s the birthplace of CocoWhip, the world’s first vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free bio fermented soft serve. Now that’s a mouthful, literally.
33. Where else can you sit on your balcony and watch our spectacular summer storm light up the night sky?
Image Credit: Brooke Darling for The Urban List