Usually, these recipes come down to a spare pair of hours muppeting around in the kitchen on a Sunday arvo, trying to pair various saturated fats with complex carbohydrates without triggering a cardiac arrest.
This particular sticky date recipe is inspired by his grandmother, who whipped it up for him while he was a little tacker growing up in ye old England. And now we’re going to run through this recipe step by step for you little tackers in Oz so you can wow the pants off your next hot date (or just have something substantial to wash that kilo of Caramel M&Ms down with).
Here’s how to make a bloody good sticky date pudding at home.
- 80g of butter
- 265g of brown sugar
- 250g of cream
- 1⁄2 tsp of ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp of salt
- 340g of dates
- 375mL of boiling water
- 1 1/2 tsp of bicarb soda
- 150g of butter
- 175g of brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 225g of self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp of ginger powder
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 750mL of milk
- 450mL of cream
- 120g of egg yolk
- 170g of sugar
- 4 pieces of vanilla bean, grated
- 2 sheets of Gelatine
- Pop to the shops for the ingredients WITH YOUR FECKING REUSABLE BAGS YOU HECKING ANIMAL—THIS PUDDING DOESN’T COME WITH A SIDE OF STRANGLED TURTLE.
- Head home, pop a pan on the stove and heat the butter and brown sugar until dissolved before then slopping in the cream, ginger and salt, because what the heck, if we’re going to have a heart attack, we may as well have the taste of heaven on our lips.
- Boil this puppy for 6 to 8 minutes until caramelised and thick. And voila—the butterscotch sauce is done.
- Moving onto the pudding itself, boil the water until it’s nice and hawt, then pour it over the dates and bicarb soda.
- Next, combine all the ingredients together with the date mixture in a blender or a NutriBullet or a VitaPistol or whatever your most recents free-to-air shopping channel purchase was.
- Pour that hot mess into a gastro container (or ‘tray’ if you’re not an acclaimed restaurant owner and executive chef) and pop it in the oven at 160°C for about 40 mins.
- Give it a cheeky stab-stab with a skewer to check she’s you beaut.
- Now onto that delicious cold sh*t that perfectly juxtaposes the saucy pud—ice cream. First, hydrate the Gelatine sheets (ok calm down, just follow the instructions on the box) and put aside.
- Next, boil the cream with the vanilla and allow it to infuse before cherry-picking the vanilla pods the hell outta there.
- Now, take your strong hand and give the sugar and egg yolk the kinda solid stir that would make ya mamma proud.
- Pour the cream over the top, mix it all together and put a bit of heat under her until the cream reaches 82°C.
- Lastly, add the gelatine and give it time to chill the hell down before popping it in the freezer.
Congratulations, you just made a restaurant grade sticky date pudding you BEAUTIFUL SONNAMABISH.
The best news is that you don’t even need to make this bloody recipe if you don’t want to because Nelly Robinson himself has slapped it on his British and Sunday Roast menus at nel. Restaurant (probs should have mentioned this at the start, oh well, now you know how to hydrate Gelatine).
Cbf cooking? Why the freaking hell did you read this then? Kidding, but check out Faraday's Cage... You won't be disappointed
Image credit: Art Of Baking