If you’re anything like us, the word free will always get your attention (especially when it comes to food). Unfortunately, though, it can be hard to find fun things to do when you’re running low on funds. Luckily for you, we’ve teamed up with the legends at Ola to show you that the best things in life really are free—just like the two free rides worth $20 each you're about to score.
Ola is one of the world’s largest ridesharing companies, and they have just brought their unique urban mobility service to the shores of Australia. The best bit? They’re offering two free rides in your city when you sign up! We believe this is what the kids call a win-win.
Oh, and in case you need some inspiration on where to go with your free ride, then here are 20 free things to do in Perth.
- One of the most beautiful parks in Australia (and maybe the world, we're not biased at all), Kings Park is the perfect tranquil escape. Pack a blanket and some snacks and you’re all set.
- Walk or cycle along the Swan River foreshore—excercise feels (and works!) better when it's free!
- Get your zen on at Northbridge Piazza. These guys hold free yoga classes every Saturday morning, so don that active wear and treat yourself to an energising workout.
- Speaking of the Piazza, head to the super screen to catch free entertainment at just about any time of the day or night. BYO blankets and snacks for a perfect (and cheap) date night.
- Explore the Perth Cultural Centre. The State Library and the Art Gallery of Western Australia are readily waiting for a day of nerdy exploration #bliss.
- Go on a cycling adventure in Fremantle. Grab a free bike from the e-shed markets in Fremantle and explore the local attractions, including heritage listed buildings and markets (aka Insta-backgrounds).
- Escape to the Supreme Court Gardens. Although they are nestled in the heart of the CBD, the Supreme Court Gardens are so lush and tranquil that you will feel like you are in an episode of Downton Abbey, minus the frigid temps and with the addition of a few palm trees. The gardens are the perfect spot to sit down with your favourite book and escape the city for an hour or two...for free!
- Go fishing in the Swan River. There are many great places for fishing around Perth, but be sure to check out the local hot spots, including under the Narrows Bridge and the Causeway, as well as East Fremantle and Mosman Bay, and save money on takeaway that evening.
- Go swan-watching at Lake Monger. Yes, they might be feisty if you get too close, but black swans are super majestic and the perfect Instagram story fodder.
- Rockingham's Shoalwater Marine Park is a snorkellers wonderland. You can explore the coastal reefs and get up close and personal with marine life, and it's 100% free. Don't forget to pack your snorkel.
- Taste your way around the Swan Valley and don't pay a cent. After a day of winery and providore hopping, you'll have a tummy filled with chocolate, cheese, ice cream and other goodies and a decent wine buzz. Don’t worry if you sample a few too many wines, this is where that free ride comes in handy!
- Try Geochaching. If you have children (or you’re a big kid yourself), then you’ve probably already heard of Geochaching. It’s an international treasure hunt that uses an app to help you locate geocaches in your area. The geocache is normally a small book and pen in a container where you write your name and the date, and then put it back for the next person to find. Give it a try, it’s as fun as it sounds.
- Hit the beach. Our fine city is famous for its beautiful, pristine beaches, and it’s not hard to see why. Here are some of our favourite secret beaches, but Cottesloe, City Beach, Scarborough and South Freo never disappoint.
- Take a day trip to York. Nestled on the Avon River, York was the first inlet settlement in Australia and has a rich and culturally significant history #PerthFacts. Follow the network of walking trails and explore the historical buildings to immerse yourself in York’s history if you feel like hitting up some educational fun!
- Visit Penguin Island. Yes, the ferry ride will set you back $27, but once you're there you can get up close and personal with the fairy penguins and try your luck at spotting dolphins, sea lions, and string-rays. Worth it!
- Find a friend with a boat and set sail for Rottnest Island, with 20 gorgeous bays to choose from, you can often get a stretch of sand to yourself. Be sure to get a selfie with a quokka before you leave!
- Go rock-climbing at Lesmurdie Falls. Just east of Perth, these cascading falls are surrounded by lush vegetation and steep rock-faces. The two-kilometre trail that circles around the falls is the perfect way to explore the surrounding bushland.
- Visit the Fremantle markets, aka the most loved markets in Perth. Hit up our favourite spots, and you never know, you might pick up a few free samples along the way. While we can't guarantee you won't spend a dime at the markets, attending is free...it still counts!
- Get a hit of adrenaline sand boarding the Lancelin sand dunes. ICYMI they're the biggest dunes in WA, and while they're a bitch to walk up, the view from the top is pretty special. Be sure to stick around for a while, because sunset over the dunes is spectacular.
- Indulge in some fresh fruit at Raeburn Orchards. Located in the picturesque Perth hills, the Roleystone orchard lets you sample their fruits for free. Be sure to treat yourself to some house-made fruit ice cream before you get your free ride home with Ola.
Okay people, there’s no excuse now. Make the most of your free rides with Ola and experience Perth without breaking the bank. Download the Ola app stat and get exploring!
Image credit: Pixabay