With spring technically less than 8 weeks away (yes, this is fact), moderate sunny days and crisp evenings are the name of the game for the remainder of this balmy Brisbane winter. While other cities continue to retreat to a comatose state of Netflix and soup, Brisbane is just getting started—there are so many things to do in Brisbne before the (dreaded) humidity returns.
Our permanently sunny weather means that nothing is off limits and, if it comes with a hot chocolate on the side we're game for anything. We’re talking festivals galore and seasonal foodie spots perfect for staving off the last of the Brisbane winter blues. Brissy, you do spoil us.
Ready to start planning your schedule for the next couple of months (psh, who doesn’t love a good planning session)? Here are all the things you should definitely do in Brisbane before winter ends.
- Finally take your family on that whale watching trip you promise to do every year.
- Fuel up on your yearly intake of strawberry ice cream at the EKKA.
- Skip the really cold days and indulge in all things nerddom at GOMA’s epic Marvel Exhibition.
- Do go chasing cosy fireplaces at The Chalet Bar.
- Master your catwalk queen impression before hitting up the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Festival.
- Wrap your hands around a beverage from one of Brisbane’s best hot chocolate spots.
- Go for a hike. No seriously, hiking one of Brisbane’s many gorgeous tracks in winter is a glorious, glorious thing.
- Score a beachside getaway on the coast on the cheap.
- Settle in for the Royal Ballet’s performance of The Winter’s Tale at QPAC.
- Laugh your heart out at QPAC’s new musical, Kinky Boots, which will take you from a working-class shoe factory to the runways of Milan – framed with a soundtrack by the one and only Cyndi Lauper.
- Banish the winter chills with an order of one of Brisbane’s spiciest foods.
- Hit up Customs House’s pop-up Absolut Igloo Bar before it’s gone.
- Take the squad for a late-night chocolate fondue date. Bonus points for atmospheric lighting.
- Go kayaking in Moreton Bay in a clear kayak with Australian Sunset Safaris. All the beauty of nature without getting wet? Heck yeah!
- Pick your own strawberries at The Berry Patch in Chambers Flat. This one also goes great with that whole chocolate fondue plan.
- Put all that time spent at the gym to good use with the Bridge to Brisbane or Brisbane Marathon Festival.
- Take advantage of Eat Street Northshore’s Sunday daytime opening hours and stuff yourself silly.
- Make Mary Poppins proud and go fly a kite at the annual Redcliffe Kite Fest.
- Tuck in to Miss Jones' giant waffle tower with fresh cream. Don't forget to order thier ruby latte for a real wintery treat.
- Go on a hunt for Brisbane’s very own secret whisky bar. Inside tip: start your search at Electric Avenue in Woolloongabba.
- Soak up the sunshine at Sunday by the River with Jazz and Food Trucks with your favourite people. Chequered picnic blankets are non-negotiable.
- Channel your inner Spartacus at Queensland Museum’s Gladiators: Heroes of the Colosseum exhibition.
- Get out of Brisbane for the weekend and drink up at Australia’s most luxurious champagne festival, Effervescence Champagne Festival.
- Don your best flapper attire and dance the night away at Doo-Bop Jazz Bar.
- Eat your way through the swish new Fish Lane dining precinct.
Need even more inspiration for your weekend plans? Check out a plethora of things to do in Brisbane right here.
Image credit: Hayley Williamson