New coronavirus cases and hotspots are popping up each day in NSW. While the recent uptick in COVID-19 community transmission in NSW isn't quite as staggering and saddening as it has been in Melbourne—the state remains to be on high alert and NSW health authorities are working hard to trace outbreaks and prevent a much larger, more devastating second wave.
We know now that the coronavirus is very contagious and the nature of its exponential transmission means a couple of cases can very quickly become a few hundred, a few thousand, and so on. So it's really important to follow health advice if you have recently been at a restaurant, gym, shopping centre, cafe, pub, suburb or region linked to an outbreak.
As of Thursday 31 July, venues in inner-city suburbs Surry Hills (Harpoon Harry Hotel) and Marrickville (Matinee Coffee) have been included in the "monitor symptoms" list, with ties to The Apollo restaurant outbreak in Potts Point.
An official order hasn't been issued by the NSW Government to wear masks, but Woolworths has announced it is strongly advising customers to wear masks while shopping at its stores, including BIG W, Dan Murphy's and BWS. We have a list of where you can buy face masks in Sydney here.
To help you keep track of which NSW venues, suburbs and regional areas are currently being affected by an outbreak, we'll be updating this live list of coronavirus hotspots regularly.
What To Do If You've Been At A Hotspot
Some venues and areas are advising immediate testing, others are advising "monitor symptoms". Regardless, if you feel unwell—get tested and self isolate.
- If you have been at one of these venues, suburbs or regional areas within the dates outlined below, it's crucial that you get tested for COVID-19 as soon as possible.
- Whether or not you are symptomatic or your test is negative, you must self-isolate at home for a period of 14 days.
- If you get a negative test and start to develop symptoms afterwards, it's advised that you get tested again.
Not sure where to get tested? Here's the official list of all the COVID-19 testing clinics in NSW.
Current NSW COVID-19 Hotspots
If you have been at one of these locations within the outlined times you need to get tested immediately. You also need to self-isolate for 14 days, regardless of your symptoms or test results.
- Bankstown, St Brendan’s Catholic Church, 6.30pm to 7.30pm on Thursday 16 July
- Bankstown, St Brendan’s Catholic Church, 10am to 11am Funeral on Saturday 18 July
- Batemans Bay, Soldiers Club, Friday 10 July, Monday 13 July, Wednesday 15 July to Friday 17 July
- Campbelltown, Plus Fitness, 9am to 10am on Saturday 11 July
- Campbelltown, West Leagues Club, 8pm on Friday 10 July to 12am on Saturday 11 July and 12am to 2.30am on Sunday 12 July
- Casula, Crossroads Hotel, Friday 3 July to Friday 10 July
- Casula, Planet Fitness, Saturday 4 July to Friday 10 July
- Fairfield East, Ausia Funeral Services, 1pm to 8pm on Friday 17 July
- Harris Park, Our Lady of Lebanon Cathedral, 5.30pm Mass on Wednesday 15 July 6pm Mass on Thursday 16 July 1.30pm funeral and 6pm Mass on Friday 17 July
- Merrylands, Anytime Fitness, 8.30pm to 10.30pm on Tuesday 14 July
- Mount Pritchard, Mounties, 101 Meadows Road, Midnight to 3am on Thursday 23 July, 11am to 3pm on Friday 24 July, 8pm to midnight on Friday 24 July, Midnight to 3am on Saturday 25 July
- Mount Pritchard, Our Lady of Mt Carmel, 7.30am to 8.30am on Sunday July 19
- Picton, Picton Hotel, Saturday 4 July, Sunday 5 July, Thursday 9 July, Friday 10 July
- Potts Point, The Apollo restaurant, Thursday 23 July to Saturday 25 July
- Potts Point, Thai Rock Restaurant, Wednesday 15 July to Saturday 25 July
- Rookwood, St John of God Lawn, 11.30am to 1pm burial on Saturday 18 July
- Wetherill Park, Thai Rock restaurant, Thursday 9 July, Friday 10 July, Saturday 11 July, Sunday 12 July, Tuesday 14 July
Current "Monitor Symptoms" NSW COVID-19 Hotspots
If you have been at one of the following locations, it's advised that you monitor yourself closely for COVID-19 symptoms. Should you become symptomatic, you should immediately get tested and self isolate.
- Albion Park, C1 Speed Indoor Karting, 6pm to 7pm on Saturday 11 July
- Albion Park, McDonalds, 2pm to 2.30pm on Wednesday 15 July
- Bankstown, An Restaurant 9 to 11am on Thursday 23 July
- Belfield, Mancini’s Original Woodfired Pizza, 8pm to 9.30pm on Friday 10 July
- Bowral, Woolworths, 12pm to 9pm on Saturday 11 July and 12pm to 9pm on Sunday 12 July
- Brighton Le Sands, Hurricanes Grill, 6pm to 9pm on Saturday 11 July
- Cabramatta, Tan Viet Noodle House (also known as Crispy Chicken Noodle House), 1pm to 2pm, Wednesday 22 July and Thursday 23 July 12pm to 2pm
- Campbelltown, Bavarian Macarthur, 7.30pm to 9pm on Saturday 11 July
- Campbelltown, Macarthur Tavern, 9.15pm on Saturday 11 July to 12.40am on Sunday 12 July
- Casula, Kmart (Casula Mall), 5pm on Friday 10 July to 12am on Saturday 11 July
- Chippendale, Holy Duck! restaurant, 7.15pm to 9.30pm on Friday 10 July
- East Maitland, Windsor Castle Hotel, 6pm to 8pm on Monday 13 July
- Hoxton Park, Guzman Y Gomez, 7.30pm to 9.00pm on Sunday 12 July
- Malua Bay, Club Malua 12pm to 1.30pm on Sunday 12 July
- Marrickville, Matinee Coffee, between 8.00am and 9.00am on Sunday 26 July and on 7.00am to 7.45am on Monday 27 July
- Marsden Park, Costco 11am to 2pm on Sunday 19 July
- Milperra, Frankie’s Food Factory (located inside Flower Power Milperra), 1pm to 3pm on Friday 10 July
- Mount Druitt, Westfield Mount Druitt, 1.30pm to 3.30pm on Saturday 18 July
- Mount Pritchard, Pritchard’s Hotel, 360 Elizabeth Drive 7pm to 7.45pm on Thursday 23 July
- Narooma, Club Narooma, 12.30pm to 2pm on Monday 13 July
- North Wollongong, Rashays, 7pm to 9pm on Saturday 11 July
- Paddington, Love Supreme, 5.30pm to 9pm on Tuesday 14 July
- Paddington, The Village Inn, 6.30pm to 10pm on Saturday 11 July
- Parramatta, Milky Lane, 2pm to 3pm on Saturday 11 July
- Revesby, Bankstown YMCA, 4pm to 8pm on Thursday 9 July and 8am to 12pm on Saturday 11 July
- Salamander Bay, Fingal Bay Café & Takeaway, 17 July between 11.30am to 12 midday
- Salamander Bay, Salamander Bay Shopping Centre, Wednesday 15 July
- Salamander Bay, Salamander Bay Woolworths, 17 July between 2.30pm to closing time, 18 July between 4pm to closing time, 19 July between 12.45pm to closing time, 20 July between 3pm to closing time
- Surry Hills, Harpoon Harry Hotel, Sunday 26 July from 2.15pm to 11.00pm. Anyone who was at the hotel during this time for a period longer than two hours is being asked to get tested and self-isolate for 14 days whether or not the test is negative. If symptoms appear after your first test, get tested again.
- St Leonards, Fitness First, Monday 27 July
- Tahmoor, Pharmacy for Less, 9am to 10.40am on Sunday 12 July
- Wetherill Park, Stockland Mall Thursday 9 July, Friday 10 July, Saturday 11 July, Sunday 12 July, Tuesday 14 July
For more detailed government information about COVID-19, its symptoms and Australian transmission data, please head here.
Image credit: Clément Falize