Adulting is tuff stuff. While the task comes with some perks (i.e. not needing a birthday as an excuse to eat cake), the adult life can be a rollercoaster of stresses at times. Bills, laundry and pantries that don’t automatically fill up every Friday—it can all get a bit much. We feel your pain.
So, on days when your flatmate polished off the last of the leftovers that you were dreaming about all day, you accidently mixed in a red sock with your whites and you just feeling like screeeaaaming from the rooftops, don’t despair. We’ve got you. Take a deep breath in and read on for the best ways to pick your stressed-out self up.
- Wear matching undies. Works a treat.
- An oldie but a goodie: scream into a pillow.
- Go to Kmart. Window shop. Make a mental list of errthing you want.
- Give in and purchase said wish-list items. Lawd knows the flat needs it.
- Have a bake-a-thon! Get out your apron and get mixing, whipping and beating your stress away.
- Violently knead the dough if it’s been one of those days.
- Treat yo’self to a fresh spray tan. Say ta-ta to stress and tadaaa to your new golden god/dess self!
- Give your room a much-needed spring clean.
- Get distracted by all the cool stuff you find.
- Hit the colouring books. Adult ones, kids’ ones—we won’t judge.
- Snuggle up with your pet. Furry cuddles for the win!
- No pets? Head to your local shelter and fall in love with all the floppy ears and fuzzy tails there.
- Adopt a cat. Problem = solved. You’ll have cuddles for life.
- Take a dip! Head to one of Sydney's top-notch ocean pools and make like a mermaid. We all know that mermaids don’t have stress in their lives.
- Dust off the yoga mat and stretch that stress right off your back.
- Whip out your makeup kit or book in with a proffesh and treat yourself to a makeover! #TooGlamToGiveADamn.
- Hit the sauna and sweat that stress right outta your system.
- Fish out those knitting needles and learn the age-old art of the knit. Go on, make granny proud.
- Knit a sweater for your cat. Endless giggles and “awwws” awaits.
- Speaking of cats, cat videos. Need we say more?
- Hit the clubs and cut some serious shapes on the d-floor.
- Too cool for evening partying? An early AM sweat sesh at a morning rave is for you!
- Can’t decide between staying in and par-tay-ing? Lock yourself in your room, plug in your headphones, blast your fave tunes. Boom. You’ve got a dance party from the comfort of your own room.
- Grab ya boots, go for a hike, be wowed by NZ’s beautiful tramping tracks and forget all your woes.
- Do your nails. Everyone knows a killer mani is the only weapon you need to fight away the stress (and look fierce, obvs).
- Hightail it to the archery range and get shooting (at the target, we mean).
- Meditate! Plonk yourself somewhere comfy and visualise the stress leaving your body and floating off far, faaaar away.
- Hit Google maps, type in a city, choose street view and take yourself on a nice relaxing virtual stroll through a foreign city without forking out the $$ for flights. Genius.
- Have a cosy night in: wine, a good book, fluffy socks and a block of choccy. What more can you want?
- Head to the boxing ring and take your frustrations out on the punching bag. It’s what it’s there for, after all.
- Visit your trusty friend the hairdresser and get an extra long head massage—you won’t regret it.
- Adopt a succulent. Plant and name your new prickly pal.
- Go for a leisurely drive.
- To the airport.
- Hop on the next flight.
We've also heard this Nutella pasta (yes, really) will help.