There's no denying it, us southern hemisphere folk have a very unique take on the festive season; who needs snow, mulled wine and soggy feet when you can polish off a bottle of champers and a kilo of prawns in 35+ degree heat?
This holiday season we're celebrating all that is unique to this hot and humid country of ours during Christmas: here's 25 ways to tell you're having the most Australian Christmas ever. Pass the mossie spray!
- It’s hot and you regret insisting on a Christmas jumper immediately.
- There are prawns on the barbie.
- You’ve spent at least 4-5 hours trapped in the shopping centre carpark.
- You’ve ditched the ‘burbs for the coast.
- You’re dreaming of a white Christmas.
- Losing at least 10 balls playing backyard cricket.
- Getting mango flesh stuck in your teeth.
- Living almost exclusively off Minties.
- You dispose of the prawn shells in your neighbour’s bin.
- Your nan gets mad when you leave the fly screen door open. Again.
- Someone will cry.
- You planned to pick up your Christmas grocery list at an independent farmer’s market, but end up doing a last minute trolley dash at Woolies or Coles. #fail
- All you can eat prawns feels like a good idea.
- Thongs make it onto the ‘smart casual’ dress code.
- You’ll see at least 35 cars with reindeer antlers as you sit stuck in traffic.
- Learning the hard way (every year) that heat and champagne do not mix.
- The scent of bug spray in the air.
- Fighting with rellies over who gets to nap where.
- Deciding to have Christmas Day lunch at the beach, only to share it with every other genius with the same idea.
- Pondering why your grandma continues to make a roast even though it’s 40+ degrees and there’s not a dry back or knee in the house.
- Opening all of the chocolate that you get given to find it's melted into an inedible heap.
- Picking off the foil and then eating it anyway.
- Wondering why your sister got the pink hat in her cracker and you got the blue one. MUM WHY?!
- Filling up a blow-up pool only to have it spewed in by your drunk uncle.
- You hit up all the really terrible tourist traps with out of town relatives.
Image credit: Moololly Bar