We all know summer in Brisbane is not for the faint-hearted. It may be the season of (predictable) afternoon thunderstorms, out-of-control hair situations (the humidity will get you every time) and air-con abuse, but there are plenty of incredible activities to get amongst, making summertime in Brisbane actually pretty great.
To get around them all you’ll need more than just on-foot enthusiasm (have you tried walking in this heat?!); we’re talking two wheels, breeze-through-your-hair, minimal effort awesomeness! Once signed up to CityCycle, for only $2 a day, every bike hire is totally free for trips under half an hour, or, for the teeny fee of $5 a month or $3 for students, you can take unlimited 30 minute trips to your favourite places across the inner city.. You can ride them as much as you like (and you can’t put a price on not having to worry about parking your car). Not to mention, there are 150 stations to pick the bikes up from across our beautiful city (check them all out here)—there’s really no excuse not to get out and about.
So along with scoffing mangoes, and taking all the blankets off the bed, here are 50 things to do in Brisbane now that summer is here:
- Take a gentle ride along the New Farm Boardwalk on a CityCycle. It’s breezy, beautiful to boot and a little less crowded than the city pathways.
- Escape to QAGOMA and catch the latest exhibit.
- Jump on a CityCycle and take a tour of Brisbane's ever-growing street art
- Take advantage of Brisbane’s prime summer weather atop W Hotel’s WET deck rooftop bar. Equipped with a luxurious pool to maximise those summer feels, it’s the perfect place for a summer afternoon chill.
- Have a sticky beak at Mas & Miek Ceramic House and experience what this amazing craft is all about. Grab a coffee on the mezzanine lounge and fall in love with their unique items in-store, or book a clay class and throw a pot yourself.
- Impress your friends with your mad barefoot bowls skills at Merthyr Bowls Club.
- Have a meat and cheese board paired with the perfect beverage at Malt Traders in South Bank and watch the world roll by.
- Lose your mind at the pastel-hued and oh-so-instagrammable Arc + Family on James Street.
- Start Sunday the right way by hiring a CityCycle in South Bank and riding the Riverloop. Covering some of Brisbane’s best riverfront cafes, there are heaps of options to choose a cute brunch spot from as well.
- Plan a staycation at the newly opened Calile Hotel on James Street. The minimalist décor, tranquil pool, and resident Greek feasting from Hellenika will have you frothing from the get-go. And that's before we get started on all the boutiques that have opened on the ground level...
- Rejuvenate yourself with a spa day at Salon Blend. With a full menu of spa treatments to choose from, it’s the perfect place for a summer treat and much needed me-time.
- Get the gang together and have a go at Cork and Chroma. Head there on a CityCycle so you only have to Uber one-way home. Genius.
- Get your thrift shop on with a visit to Swop in West End. Known for their unique finds and gorgeous garments, Swop is a sartorial treasure trove.
- Escape the heat with a visit to Spring Hill Baths, voted Brisbane’s cutest public pool due to the brightly coloured bathing boxes!
- Enjoy the blooming delights of the Brisbane Botanic Gardens. Hire a CityCycle and roll through the gardens then along Eagle Street Pier for the ultimate summery experience.
- Lose yourself in the ice cream mecca that is Gelato Messina. With a new special every month, there’s always room for a second scoop.
- Take advantage of Popolo’s picnic menus which cater for two, four or very large groups. Equipped with your very own picnic blanket, the perfect place to enjoy this treat is just across the pathway at River Quay Green.
- Be the epitome of #cleaneating this summer with a personally crafted poke bowl at Suki Poke Bowls & Sushi. Fresh, colourful and irresistible!
- Cruise into Little Big House, situated in a heritage-listed converted Queenslander and the best place for lazy summer afternoon tipple.
- Get a cheeky head start on that summer glow with a tanning session at Lush Tan Beauty in New Farm (or pay for a multi-pack to keep you looking bronzed all summer long).