Welcome to the recipe you didn’t know your body needed. While everyone’s been caught up in the hoo-ha of regular HSPs, some national icon behind the scenes has been developing the dessert to end all desserts (and arteries). Introducing the doughnut HSP.
Here’s how to make it:
Fried Donut Holes
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 5 tbsp of cold butter
- 3/4 cups of milk
- 1/3 cup sugar (for rolling)
- 1 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon (for rolling)
- Melted white chocolate
(all in your own desired quantities)
- Detox for about a month beforehand so you don’t OD on saturated fats.
- Pop to the shops and pick up the ingredients. Resist the discounted doughnuts at the front of the store—you’re better than that (no you’re not, but you’re making doughnuts anyway for god's sake).
- Head home and combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Crumble the butter into your mixture, add milk and mix until all ingredients are combined into a delicious dough. Refrain from eating it.
- Tip the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead it into a ball. Split the mixture into twelve golf ball sized balls of dough. Again, keep it away from your greedy chops.
- Fill a medium-sized saucepan with two inches of oil heat to 180 degrees celsius.
- Stir together the cinnamon and sugar mix while you wait for the oil to heat. And line a plate with paper towel ready to catch that oily dough ball sweat.
- Once the oil has hit 180 degrees, start carefully frying your balls four at a time for approximately 3.5 minutes before removing them with one of those holey spoons and scooping them onto the paper towel.
- Allow them to sit for 30 seconds before popping them in your cinnamon and sugar mix and rolling them around until they’re fully coated with the good stuff.
- Repeat until all balls are fried and covered in cinnamon and sugar.
- Pop them all in a takeaway styrofoam container (it’s not a bloody HSP if it comes in a bowl).
- Drizzle with as much Nutella and melted white chocolate as you damn well want, and then top it off with crushed Oreos because WTF not. Add any other choccies that get your heart beating and your palms sweating.
- Eat the entire DSP and Instagram a photo of your heart rate with the hashtag #shitwhathaveidone.
Hungry for more? Get a load of all of our recipes here.
Image credit: Irene Diaz